How to Succeed
First Week of the Term
- First day: log in to your online or hybrid class.
- Second day: email your instructor if you cannot access your class.
- By Thursday: show some activity or risk being dropped.
Throughout the Term
- Log in regularly, usually at least three times per week.
- Ensure enough time to study, complete assignments and work with others.
- Take notes as you study.
- Commit approximately 2-3 hours per credit per week.
- Contact your instructors when problems arise.
- Share your ideas and carefully consider your responses to others.
- Take responsibility for your own learning.
- Find or create a quiet study space.
Communicate Effectively Online
- Be polite and respectful.
- Use a meaningful subject line for your email and forum posts.
- Be tolerant of views expressed by others.
- When reacting to someone else's message, address the ideas, not the person.
- Be careful when using sarcasm and humor.
- Don't send commercial advertisements or "chain mail" to your classmates.
- Using all capital letters is generally considered to be "shouting."
Minimum Computer Requirements
To participate in online and hybrid courses, students are expected to have access to the following equipment:
- A modern computer system with a supported operating system.
- An Internet connection 0.50 Mbps or better recommended. Test your connection here.
- An Internet browser.
- An email account and a word processing software.
- A sound card and speakers are required for some courses.
- Current virus software installed and kept up to date.
- Some classes may have specific class requirements for additional software.
It is important to know how to attach and copy files. In some classes, it may be necessary to download and intall software.